Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Weary Travelers

Then they said to him: “Please inquire of God to learn whether our journey will be successful.” The priest answered them, “Go in peace. Your journey has the Lord’s approval.” Judges 18:5-6

Ok, I’ve been busy again. I’ll blame it all on the children, but they go to school two weeks from tomorrow and my excuses will be gone all day, so we’ll see what I come up with then.

Today, however, I’ll catch you up on last week. On Tuesday, Tulsa County Fair Entry Day, the kids had their Lego ships built to enter into the Cloverbud exhibits and I had 15 pictures that I thought I would enter just for fun. Entry time was 4:00 pm and sometime during the day, I got the itch to go somewhere. So I decided we would run our entries into Tulsa to the fair and then promptly head home, pack, and take off to my dad’s where we would spend the night, and head over to Branson, MO in the morning. Hub had to work, so I was on my own with the kids. I was so brave!

Our 2 ½ hour drive on Wednesday was uneventful and the kids hardly spoke as we had stopped by the library and stocked up on comic books before the whole fair thing on Tuesday. They were engrossed in Batman and Superman, and luckily do not get car sick from reading. We rolled into Silver Dollar City about 11:00 am and ate PB&J sandwiches in the car before heading in. It was nearly 100 that day, and the kids didn’t want to wear their sandals to do any water rides because they didn’t have the full bathing suit wardrobe on. What were we thinking??

KidsFest was going on, which means there were lots of extra kid activities to be done around the park, all of which are my children’s favorites. We hit the colored sand tubs, the indoor play area in the a/c’d barn (break from the heat) and the magic show (break from the heat). We walked miles and miles, and made it until almost 5:00 pm that evening at the park. I noticed people staring at me on our way out. When I got to the car, my face was as red as a beet and looked like I was about to pop.

Then we cooled off at the motel pool, ate pizza, and then headed over to the Branson Landing area to see the fire and water fountain at 8:30 pm. As we sat there, the fog rolled in over the river and the temperature immediately dropped probably 20 degrees. My kids obviously don’t get out much and were just amazed at the lightposts that played music and had different color-changing lights, as well as the lit up trees. They likened the trees to Moses’ burning bush.

Then it was back to the motel where I was sure we would all pass out from exhaustion, but we ended up staying up until 11:00 pm watching Billy the Exterminator. It was the only remotely appropriate show I could find on and the kids loved it so much, they are looking forward to tonight when it is on again. I would secretly like them to dress like Billy, but my luck they would want his hairstyle too, and I’m not sure I could handle it.

Thursday, we were back at the park about 9:30 am, bathing suits on, and intended to stay only until noon or so. We rode two majorly wet rides right off the bat (one of which I will tell you of our experiences on tomorrow) and were soaked for the rest of the day. Noon turned into one, then two, then three, and we ended up staying until almost 5:00 pm that day too. Countless miles were walked once again.

That evening the oldest had a special request for onion rings, so I took them to the A&W restaurant where I like to consume gallons of root beer from the tap. My Nanna had an A&W back when I was a baby, and I attribute my affinity to the stuff to having a baby bottle full of it on a regular basis.

I don’t know if that’s true or not.

Who would give a baby pop?

I’m thinking the answer may be – my family!

It would also account for all my childhood cavities too.

Anyway, just as the onion rings were served up, the kids began to fall asleep in the booth. As they slowly ate away at their food, their eyes rolled around in their heads that were slowly nodding to the table. I almost had to carry them out of there.

Friday morning, we got up, saw our friends from home who just happened to be staying at our hotel too at breakfast, and then headed home. We took an hour break at my dad’s house, even though no one was there, and then headed homeward again. Then at 5:00 pm that evening, it was back to the Tulsa County Fair for an ice cream fundraiser, and to see how we made out while we were away. The kids both got blue ribbons (everyone gets the same in Cloverbuds) and I got a first, a second, and two thirds with my pictures, once beating out someone I know who has a MUCH more expensive camera than I do.

All in all, a wild week for us!

Then we all went home and slept like dead people. The end.

[Jesus said] “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28


Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.